The problem is that Windows .fon files are not fully documented, and the open-source tool I was using to convert the fonts was having issues making the font one MSYS would recognize. After hours of trying different things Fontforge finally made a MSYS-capable .fon file by having three fonts in the file, only one of which I used. The font name was one-letter long; I changed it to a three-letter name by using a binary editor.
Simon Tatham, the same guy who wrote the PuTTY client I am using to write this blog, also wrote his own .fon generation scripts in Python. His scripts were able to take the hacked-together .fon file and convert it in to a .fon file with the correct font name (WTermA, to distinguish it from the scalable WTerm font). The resulting file is smaller since it now only has one font in it.
I have made a local mirror of his scripts and fonts (which, being bitmap fonts, are public domain in the US):
==Download and using WTermA==
WTermA, the updated and fixed WTm, is available here:
start rxvt -backspacekey -sl 2500 -fg #00c000 -bg #000000 -sr -fn WTermA -tn msys -geometry 80x25+15+15 -e /bin/sh --login -i
One of the hardest parts of making a font is giving it good hinting. This is a tedious, time consuming process. As a result, very few open-source fonts include delta hints.
The best-looking open source with delta hinting has been the monospace OFL-licensed Cousine. When I downloaded the new Cousine today, it was a shock to discover that, when Google changed its license from the OFL to the Apache license, the updated font no longer has delta hinting.
That in mind, I have mirrored a copy of the older Cousine with delta hinting, which can be downloaded here: