For a very long time, I have had a link to my email address on my web page. No more.
A lot has changed since I first had an email on my web page. Email is no longer used the way it used to be; at my current job, email is not even used for corporate communication: We use either Slack or Skype. The majority of email I get these days is robot generated email.
I have not gotten an email from someone using my web page email address that was worth receiving for years.
That in mind, the email link on my web pages has now been replaced with a link to my resume. People who wish to contact me can become part of my LinkedIn network:
I have updated the font on my web page to use Charis SIL for the non-italic body text instead of Bitstream Charter. Charis SIL is a Bitstream Charter variant which has a slightly darker weight than the original Charter; it looks a little nicer, especially on “retina” displays and in Google Chrome.
I have been a fan of this font for a while; I used this very same font for my English lessons back when I was a professional ESL teacher.
The spacing between letters for Charis SIL italic is a little too tight; I am still using Bitstream Charter for italic text. This results in the italic being somewhat lighter than the non-italic text, but that’s normal for an italic.
The updated font can be downloaded here:
The number of users in 2018 using a low resolution PC display is decreasing, while the number of users with retina displays, Macintoshes (even on a low resolution display, the new font looks better in MacOS), and even Linux (yes, I checked, and the new font is an improvement on a Linux desktop), or smart phone is increasing, so the technology has advanced to the point that a nice-looking printing font that looked bad on the screen in 2009 now looks really nice.
Edit #2: I was able to fix the splotchy problem on low resolution displays by using ttfautohint 1.8.1; I had to set the maximum size to apply hinting to a small value (24 PPEM) so that it both looks good on low resolution Windows displays (it now looks like it looks in Linux when in Windows, since ttfautohint uses Linux’s hinting) while looking the same as it did before on anything with more than 75dpi or so.
To post a comment about this blog entry, send me an email. I may or may not post it, with or without editing.