Construction light hack

Article: 7516 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: gavin@sallery.demon.co.uk (Gavin Sallery)
Subject: Construction light hack
Sender: news@demon.co.uk (Usenet Administration)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 22:38:31 GMT

> ObHack:
>  I had one of those sound-sensitive flowers that was just gathering dust,
> and one day, (by methods you can probably guess), I acquired a orange
> flashing light that you see at construction sites.  I demolished my
dancing> flower, spliced some wires, and presto!  Sound-sensitive dancing
disco
> light!

Speaking of construction light hacks, we had some fun with one of these
things on Friday night. A few of us were round a friend's house after a night
out, when another of our number turned up carrying one of these lights (and,
of course, completely drunk #-)  ). Whilst deciding what to do next, we
disassembled the whole light, and bypassed a couple of resistors with smaller
one(greatly reducing the circuit resistance). This had the effect of reducing
the period of the cycles; the maintenance lamp now did a passable strobe
impression! So we took it out along the roads towards Stanstead Airport,
which were completely dead at that time of night (3am). We left it in the
middle of a dual carriageway, blinking away quietly to itself. It was visible
(laterally) for about half a mile; vertically, it was almost invisible due to
the Fresnel lens. Looked really cool. Just thought I'd let you know :-)

--
/__     (_        \ Hertfordshire, England

Back to index