Car battery hack

Article: 7411 of alt.hackers
From: rvw@incore.xs4all.nl (Ronald van Woensel)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Car battery hack
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 17:09:27 +0100

Well, here I was, in the southern part of france, on vacation, no hacking
tools available and my car battery broke down in the middle of nowhere.
So what to do? Well, I noticed that the radio was still working, so the
battery was still able to deliver a few milliamps, but the car couldn't start
on it. Looking in the cells of the battry, i noticed that one of the cells
was producing gas, so probably it was overheating or some chemical
reaction was taking place. I decided that the only thing to get out of there
was to use the the remaining 5 cells to somehow start the engine. The only
piece of metal I had with me was a tent pin, so I rammed the tent pin
in the broken cell and used a piece of wood as a hammer and it WORKED!
The only thing was that the battery was now a 10volt version, so it became
overcharged in no time. So when the engine was running, i unplugged one
pole of the battery. For the smart guys who think: Hey, why couldn't you
just give it a push, i want to add that the generator that recharges the
battery itself needs a little bit of current from the battery in order to
generate any current. So you CANT start a car without a battery! (at least
the european cars..)  Well, I was able to continue my vacation and
the 10 volt battery even made it home.

Question: (english is not my native language) What does 'ob' stands for
in 'ObHack' etc? Is it an abbrevation for 'obliged?' 'obvious' or is it slang
or so?

|Ronald van Woensel * <rvw@incore.xs4all.nl>  * Incore Automatisering BV|
|Haarlemmerweg 321A * 1051 LG Amsterdam * 0206842011  *  The Netherlands|
|               OS/2: Opens up windows, shuts up gates                  |
|   Wonder Why World Wide Web Wanderers Watch  http://xs4all.nl/~nail   |

Child Child

Back to index