Hacking Story

Article: 7414 of alt.hackers
From: umbagna0@cc.umanitoba.ca (Brian Bagnall)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Hacking Story
Date: 18 Feb 1995 19:00:16 GMT

Here is a little story from back in my commodore 64 days.  Back then everyone
was using EBBS, and the program was available as shareware everywhere.  I
wanted to get the passwords from everyone on the EBBS's in the city (Winnipeg).
I checked out the file that stores everyones passwords and login names from the
shareware version, and it was called pass seq or something... I forget.
So I wrote
a dummy program that said it would optimize EBBS and make it run quicker.
Obviously sysops would love this.  I said it was written by Ed Parry, and
I wrote
all this documentation to make it look legitimate, complete with copywrite
stuff.
The program would REALLY change the uploaded file (in the uploads directory,
from
which I hoped the sysop would run it) and tack on the passwords, then at a
later date
I would download it and the passwords.  It even encoded the passwords so no one
would see.  It was compiled too so he couldn't analyse it.

Well, I uploaded the thing to several BBS' and did it work?  No.  I forgot
that other
sysops used ,8 ,9 ,10 and ,11 drives.  Mine only read and wrote from ,8.
How stupid
can I be.  I was so short sighted, but a brilliant plan otherwise, don't
you think?

Back to index