Mickey Mouse XClock

Article: 7536 of alt.hackers
From: dave@case50.ncsl.nist.gov (David Flater)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Mickey Mouse XClock
Date: 24 Mar 1995 18:37:57 GMT

Is the following a hack, or a kluge?  You be the judge.

Fvwm came with a system.fvwmrc that showed how you can embed an XClock
inside one of the cubicles of GoodStuff, which is a thing that sits in
the corner of your screen and organizes all kinds of stuff.  I wanted
to have a Mickey Mouse watch instead of just an XClock.  First thing I
had to do was change from XClock to oclock since oclock has a switch
to make it transparent.  Then I quick wrote a little program to take
somebody's picture (in this case a co-worker who has a good sense of
humor) and make it round by changing all the pixels that are not
inside of the circle to a specified color.  Take that picture, do
ppmtoxpm, edit the xpm to make the corner color transparent, and
you've got a round picture.

Replace the XClock in system.fvwmrc with a function box that uses the
new picture as its icon.  Then add a line to xinitrc to start oclock
after GoodStuff appears, placing it right over the round picture in
GoodStuff.  Presto -- Mickey Mouse watch.  As an added bonus, when you
click on it, you get an xdaliclock.

Well, _I_ think it's cool....

--
Dave Flater (SQL-Agent Man), dave@case50.ncsl.nist.gov.  I am speaking
for myself and not the U.S. government.  Don't be a weasel.

Back to index