Something that shouldn't be a hack, but is...

Article: 7608 of alt.hackers
From: zaphod@camelot.bradley.edu (Chuck Cochems)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Something that shouldn't be a hack, but is...
Date: 6 Apr 1995 00:38:07 -0500

Beleive it or not, reading my news is a hack on this system.  The newsreaders
keep dumping core now, and I have no clue as to what causes it.  It is
always just before some text is to be displayed (the next page etc.).
This time it's a group early on in the sequence that's causing trouble,
and I can't skip it unless I'm on an earlier group.  However, as that
group is now the first one showing up, I can't even get a prompt before
it dumps core on me.  So, my hack follows:

Use Pnews to post a message to alt.hackers, one of the few groups before
the one causing the trouble, so I can then skip the group (I think it's
rec.humor...)

I know it's VERY lame, but it IS a hack, on THIS unix box...
		   zaphod@camelot.bradley.edu
		"Save the earth!"  -- Culture Beat