Testing (w/ ObHack)

Article: 7868 of alt.hackers
From: pronell@uslink.net (Joshua Malmquist)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Testing (w/ ObHack)
Date: 24 May 1995 22:34:01 -0500

Well, obviously this is just a simple test.
Last time didn't work, but I'm pretty sure the method's right...

ObHack:

Oh, god, I dunno... well this is pretty pitiful, but...
I taught myself Unix, as I have taught myself MOST of my computer
knowledge... don't consider myself much of a hacker, but at least very
curious.

I didn't feel like learning vi, so I was using pico when I configured
this account.  The default backspace character is ^H, and I used a couple
other Unix systems that used the delete character (shown as ^?) instead.

Instead of switching terminal emulation files in Qmpro for each system I
use, I tried to find a way to switch those characters around.

At first I thought it might be a set or setenv, but that came up empty,
then I thought maybe it would be a termcap or terminal setting thing...
eventually found the 'tset' command, and saw in the man file for tset
exactly what I had to do.

Well it wasn't quite as easy as just adding the right line to my .cshrc
file, because as you may know, pico will recognize BOTH ^H and ^? as
backspace characters.  the line tset -e^? wouldn't work...

I just ended up doing an
echo tset -e^? > temp
and reading temp into my .cshrc file, before I realized it woulda been
much easier to use 'edit' to add that line in.

Oh well, that 'hack' if you can call something that pitiful a hack, was
more the process than the method used.

(Now let's hope this goes through -- I'd hate to have to retype all of
that. ;)

--

Joshua Malmquist	pronell@uslink.com	Hobbs or Pronell on IRC

Back to index