Re: No Posts

Article: 8452 of alt.hackers
From: mjarvis@qns2.qns.com (Michael Jarvis)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: No Posts
Date: 22 Aug 1995 18:56:17 -0500

bp@oil.com (bp@oil.com (Spectre)) wrote:
>   How come there are so few posts here? Any ideas?

Everybody is probably working on their latest...

Obhack:

I recently acquired an old AT&T 3B2/310.  It has a 10Mhz WE32100
processor, 4 MB of RAM, a 71 MB MFM hard drive, and runs AT&T SysV 3.2.
It was a little bare on software, so I decided to snarf some stuff from
the 'net to install.

I don't have an external modem, and haven't gotten it networked yet (I
*DO* have an ethernet card for it!), so I decided to use the floppy
drive.  The floppy drive on the 3b2 uses normal DSDD 5.25" floppies,
formatted with 80 tracks and 9 sectors/track, for a capacity of 720K.  It
was pretty trivial to get linux to recognize floppies formatted this way,
but I was unable to get linux to recognize the 3b2 filesystem, and the
3b2 was unable to recognize any of the linux filesystems.

What I wound up doing was using "dd" to write the files from linux to
/dev/fd1, and then use "dd" again on the 3b2 to read the files
back in.
It worked like a champ!  My 3b2 is now running tcsh and vile, which I
consider bare minimums for a decent Unix box.  :-) By the way, vile took
over 6 hours to compile, including several 10-minute hacks to the source
code and include files.

                                               -michael
--
Michael Jarvis   |  Finger for PGP Public key  |   QNSnet Technical Support
mjarvis@qns.com  | http://www.qns.com/~mjarvis |   Questar Network Services

gone

Back to index