Re: ports?

Article: 8544 of alt.hackers
From: kson@junior.wariat.org (Kyongsu Son)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: ports?
Date: 9 Sep 1995 04:56:27 GMT

: FINAL question...  where can I find a bright source of infared
: light?  I need a bright infared light with no visible light, for
: use with my starlight goggles.  I've got a 1.25" black plexiglas-like
: disk that fits over a mag light, but I was robbed for $22 for the
: little bugger, and don't care to pay a proportional price to fit
: my spotlight or lantern with one.  Either a special light source,
: (all the infared LEDs I checked are too weak) or a not-so-expensive
: filter to place on a visible light source.  Also, what visible lights
: produce the most infared? (flourescent lights produce NO infared,
: so they are no good)

I've tried those IR filters which fit over your spotlight... they work
well but in the dark they glow a dim red if you look at it...

An infrared laser diode works extremely well... You need to get a
regulated power supply, and to make it work optimally, you should
get a focusable collimating lense so you can adjust the spread of
the light... Find out what the optimum wavelength is and find one
near that. The cool thing is that it is extremely invisible to the
naked eye.. and if you couldn't get a non-visible diode, its
difficult to pinpoint where the beam is coming from.

ObRelatedHack

During a preplanned game of midnight capture the flag, I was in
the van with all the coats... It was relatively easy to affix
IR LEDs powered by the 1.5V cell you can take out of a 9v
battery to the opposing teams' coats. Suffice to say, we didn't
lose (although I might add that we didn't win either)

gone

Back to index