Re: YKYBPMTLW

Article: 7358 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: dingbat@codesmth.demon.co.uk (Andy Dingley)
Subject: Re: YKYBPMTLW
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 02:12:19 +0000
Sender: usenet@demon.co.uk

In article <3hj4dk$51b@masala.cc.uh.edu>
           laa05781@violet.egr.uh.edu "Louis A Alten" writes:

>         During the annual Sci-Fi marathon here at CWRU I helped
> my friend Kai

Kai (*the* Kai ?) is a friend of yours ? <impressed>  OK, so we'll
let you off
not listing an ObHack  8-)

> I actually got some programming done during a
> couple of the boring movies.

Hmmm...... So you went to an sf con, and people dressed as Klingons got to
say "Who's the Sad Geek with the compiler ?". Do you really think
this is a
good thing ?

ObHack:

> Using my ancient Amstrad PCW8256

One of my parent's neighbours lost the password to their accounts computer
last w/e, an old PC1512. I happened to be around, so got dragged over to fix
it. I had one of my own PCs sitting nearby, with all the file-hacking tools I
could want, but unfortunately only a 3.5" drive and no LapLink cable. I
*could* have made up a serial cable I guess, but instead I used DEBUG to
write a hex->ASCII filter and started TYPEing recent files through that and
MORE. I soon found a mis-spelt version of what looked like the right
password, and sure enough, we were in.

OK, I cheated 8-) I wrote it in tiny C on my machine, printed a listing of
the OBJ and used that as a guide when flying DEBUG. I'll leave the
assembler-from-memory to people like Vik Olliver. 8-)

--
Andy Dingley                             dingbat@codesmth.demon.co.uk

No matter how many pop-science TV programs make jokes about "A Brief
History
Of Time", I refuse to be made to feel guilty about having read it
through in
one sitting.

gone

Child