NNTP set-up hack

Article: 8356 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: cmm@tidybo.atlanta.dg.com (Michael Maxie (CTR))
Subject: NNTP set-up hack
Sender: usenet@beau.atlanta.dg.com (Usenet administration)
Date: 25 Jul 1995 21:06:11 GMT

I've been lurking here for about a 6 months and finally came up with
a hack that I felt worth posting.

ObHack:

See above.
My current news feed is unreliable and 3 days behind always.  So,
I decided to find ISP that I could telnet/rlogin to and keep up
with news.  Not being able to throw things away I ussually have 10M
of saved articles and kill files saved off.  With the trends in
signal/noise ratios I see my kill files taking up more space than
saved articles.  Also, I like to keep my news session up constantly.
Given these requirements I decided on crl.com as my provider.  The one
problem with CRL is that they don't support my News Reader, which is
GNUS under Emacs Version 19 (They do support it under version 18, but
I'm not going to go back).  So I configure my emacs to use use a different
nntp port and host.  On the host that has a reliable news feed I wrote a
socket program that waits for my emacs session to connect to it, thinking
that it is the NNTP server.  This program then connects to the real NNTP
server and acts as a go between.

Regards,
--
Michael Maxie