Re: Getting AIX root access

Article: 7640 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: cmcurtin@clipper.cb.att.com (-C.Curtin)
Subject: Re: Getting AIX root access
Sender: news@nntpa.cb.att.com (Netnews Administration)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 18:00:52 GMT

In article <3m973d$kc1@starbase.neosoft.com>,
David C Smith <dcs@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> wrote:

>>Since you can edit the passwd file, wouldn't it be simpler to just
delete the
>>root password?
>
>Yup! That would cut down on *several* steps. I'll try it on the next
>machine. Thanks!

Most of the time, you can bring up an AIX box by cranking the key to
service, and booting. As you pointed out, this brings it up in
maintenance mode (same as init M). Note that when you do this, that
which identifies itself as root is actually a RAM filesystem. You'll
need to mount the filesystem with /etc/passwd on it in order to save
those changes to disk.

Have fun.
--
C Matthew Curtin