First post

Article: 7691 of alt.hackers
From: alexlh@yourchoice.nl (Alex Le Heux)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: First post
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 17:16:00 +0100

Ok, my first post...

ObHack:

Here at work we are in the process of replacing our old Novell system with
a Sun. The programmers working on the new system aren't quite finished yet,
but we are already using part of the system for daily work.

The Novell prints all it's stuff on a big HP LaserJet IIISi, which would
later be connected to the Sun. Meanwhile the (low volume) printing from
the Sun would go to an Apple Laserwriter. Using PCL5. We thought. As it
happens the Apple and the LaserJet don't agree on what PCL5 is.

Unfortunatly it didn't work. "No problem I think, the LaserJet has a
parallel and a serial port, and the Novell uses the parallel, so I'll just
run a cable up there, and plus the Sun in the serial port." Again, no
cigar.

Turns out the (old) laserjet listens to EITHER the parallel OR the serial
port, and has never heard of auto-switching.

After messing about with printer switches, 15 m parallel printer cables,
CAP and lots and lots pages with garbage the solution arrived in a flash
of inspiration...

       Take an old diskless Novell station, connect it to
       the sun with a serial cable. Configure the Sun so
       that it prints to that serial port, fire up Telix
       (good old Telix the terminal program) on the station,
       tell Telix to capture to LPT1, which will send it
       to the Novell server, which in turn prints it on the
       LaserJet.

--
The right to read or watch anything I want is NOT a point open for
discussion. It is my inalienable right.

Back to index