Speaker hum

Article: 7485 of alt.hackers
From: holbrook@worf.netins.net (Ned Holbrook)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Speaker hum
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 1995 23:05:34 -0600

ObHack: Not naming this post 'First post!'

ObSpeakerHack:
   Setting up a pair of Radio Shack PA speakers for use in a recent stage
production at my school.  The first problem, albeit a minor one, was
finding wiring that was the necessary length.  I didn't even know they
made 24 gauge wire in 100 foot lengths! 8-)  The second problem was the
speakers themselves.  Either of their own accord or because of the PA amp
that they were hooked into, they constantly emitted an annoying hum.  The
speakers in question had two 8-inch bass/midrange drivers and a
horn-loaded tweeter.  Turns out that the hum was coming solely from the
tweeters, and the solution actually involved duct tape.  In order to mute
those annoying tweeters, I tore up some cloth I found backstage into two
pieces, wadded them up, and duct taped them over the tweeter horns.
Problem solved!

Ned

--
| Ned Holbrook   holbrook@worf.netins.net  | Visit | "Translucent
newts     |
|   http://www.netins.net/showcase/newt/   | Newt! |  wear zoot suits."
-Me |
G! d H s+:- g+ p?+ !au a-- w+ v++ C++ UO++>+++ P+ L 3 E- N++ K-- W---
M++ V--
   po Y+ t+++ 5-- j+ R+ G+ tv b+++ !D B-- e* u**(-) h! f* !r n+(----) !y

Child

Back to index