Support this website or
listen to my music
Scroll down for downloads
ObHack is my name for some modifications Fritz and myself have made to Oblige, a random map generator
for the original Doom, Doom 2, and Heretic. It is name thusly because it
is a hacked Oblige, and as a tribute to the ObHacks posted to the
once-great Usenet newsgroup alt.hackers.
ObHack is a fork of version 2 of Oblige (Oblige 0.81-0.97). It has
the following features that Oblige2 does not have:
- Real secret areas that take work to find
- Improved random number generator which allows arbitrary English or
Spanish text to be the seed, resulting in a nearly infinite number
of possible seeds
- New modes: Single Player + Deathmatch, Deathmatch without exits, and
Capture the Flag
- Progressive level size: Levels get bigger as one gets to higher levels
in the wad
- Enclosures and variable room sizes
- Adjustable light level
- Tiny and gigantic level sizes
- Option to have swarms or even more monsters
- Monster traps are back (removed in Oblige 0.94)
- Boss levels now have boss monsters in them
- Choice of player starting weapon
- More texture packs, including contributions from Mr. Chris
- Deathmatch starts in single player maps
- Support for Blasphemer 0.1
- And other features not listed here
ObHack is currently in deep freeze; development is focused on adding
tests to the code base and making it more deterministic. There is
a Git repository for ObHack at
Most people will want to download the final version of the ObHack-8
fork of ObHack:
“Hockey Rink” Version
The most recent updates are done to an older version of ObHack, based
on the 2009 code base. I use this older version because it’s more
compact than more recent versions; this is a size optimized release
for fitting on a “hockey rink” business card sized CD.
This release also includes my fork of an older version of FreeDoom.
Since I am not getting paid for this work, and since professional
support contracts cost tens of thousands of dollars a year, the
amount of support I provide for ObHack is very limited. I do pay
attention to ObHack bug reports filed in GitHub, but I am under no
obligation to answer or even address your concern.
Please do not send me a private message asking for support; if you do,
I will refer you to GitHub.
Older releases of ObHack (and SLUMP) can be seen here
Here is a
local mirror of all Oblige releases
There is also version 1.8.6 of the Doomsday/Dengine
engine for playing Doom.
Please note that this version of Doomsday does not work with newer
(post-0.7) releases of FreeDoom.
Be aware that I do not provide any support for Deng 1.8.6 besides
having a download; people who want a supported version of Doomsday
should go the the Doomsday website and
download the latest version there.
Here is a Doom random map generator being updated: