Re: OK, I need some help on this one...

Article: 7645 of alt.hackers
From: wsantee@cyberspace.com (Wes Santee)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: OK, I need some help on this one...
Date: 12 Apr 1995 20:08:25 -0700

Mark Atkinson sez:
>bdrake@bengal.oxy.edu (Barry T. Drake) writes:
>> copy of the first sector in hex.  Then, using Norton's DiskEdit, I
>> typed the
>> information onto the first sector of the trashed hard disk, saved it,
>Err, why didn't you just use NU to save the boot sector to a file, then
>boot from a floppy, and write it back onto the other machine?  Or do you
>just like doing things the hard way? :-)

Acutally, you don't even need that.  NDD will reconstruct the entire
boot sector from scratch in software.  All it needs is a valid
partition table.  Just boot from DOS, run NDD on that machine, and
presto...Besides, unless you're copying the boot sector from an
identical dimensioned and partitioned drive, chances are the 'copy' of
the boot sector won't be the same as the original (which it sounds
like the original poster was lucky enough to find).

ObHack:  Created a parition that pointed to the diagostic cylinder
just to see if DOS would accept it.  Formatted up and I got myself a
600K partition! (which I then blew away because it fucked up my drive
ordering).

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee            | And the sun is the same in a relative way )
( wsantee@cyberspace.com |  but you're older                         )

Parent Parent

Child Child

Back to index