Boot sectors (was: OK, I need some help on this one...)

Article: 7657 of alt.hackers
From: hermanni@wavu.DataFellows.FI (Mikko H. Hypponen)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Boot sectors (was: OK, I need some help on this one...)
Date: 14 Apr 1995 08:49:40 GMT

Wes Santee (wsantee@cyberspace.com) wrote:
> Acutally, you don't even need that.  NDD will reconstruct the entire
> boot sector from scratch in software.  All it needs is a valid
> partition table.

Actually, NDD doesn't usually even need a valid partition table, as
it is able to recover lost partitions. However, I've found that in
such situations NDD works best if you first manually zero out the
whole MBR area (Cyl 0, Head 0, Sec 1) on the first physical hard
drive.

Sort-of obligatory hack: Putting too much files and directories to a
single 250MB DOS FAT partition. Now Norton Backup, Central Point Backup,
MS Backup, FastBack, ZIP or ARJ won't back it up anymore. Any
hints, anyone?

--
        Mikko Hermanni Hyppönen // mikko.hypponen@datafellows.fi
  Data Fellows Ltd's F-PROT Professional Support: f-prot@datafellows.fi