Linux problems (was Re: rlogin revealed)

Article: 8410 of alt.hackers
From: ftlofaro@unlv.edu (Frank T Lofaro)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Linux problems (was Re: rlogin revealed)
Date: 8 Aug 1995 07:15:47 GMT

A poster mentioned here the chfn could be used to hose a linux box.
He didn't say, but it looked like one could hose the system by
killing/suspending chfn right after opening /etc/passwd in truncate
mode. I ran a trace on chfn.

Here's another bad one.

Set file limit to 0.
run passwd and try to change passwd

/etc/passwd is empty, and all logins are denied with "Login
incorrect", i.e. one doesn't know what is wrong.

By setting file limits low can partially truncate /etc/passwd.

I'll post this to comp.os.linux.development.system too.

ObHack: Changing the FS code to allow hardlinks to symlinks. Not too
useful, but neat, and I didn't lose any filesystems when I did it!
And doing 40 other hacks and wacks on the Linux kernel, unfortunately
one of them hosed swapping to a file. Heck, most of them work though!

Parent gone Parent

Back to index