Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7712 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: mark_a@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Mark Atkinson")
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 00:41:36 GMT

ajry@st-and.ac.uk (Alistair James Robert Young) writes:

> In article <grobsonD79qGp.Gwr@netcom.com> grobson@netcom.com
(Gary D.
> > Robson) writes:
>
>    ObHack:
>       I recently purchased OS/2 Warp, which came as a CD-ROM with a
> couple    of 3-1/2" install diskettes.  I placed the install diskette
> in my B:    drive and tried to use it.  No go.  It has to be in the A:
> drive (which    in my system is a 5-1/4").  I would expect
better than
> that out of garage    shop, and it mightily dissapointed me that a
> so-called professional    organization like IBM would do something so
> lame.
>
> This isn't really IBM's fault - at least, not the OS/2 writers. AFAIK,
> there's *NO* way whatsoever to persuade a PC to boot from anything
> other than the first hard drive or floppy drive A:. Blame the PC
> designers.

Windows NT seems to manage fine :-).

While you are correct, there's no reason to design it this way - just run
the installer from the CD, set up the boot HD appropriately and reset.

Et viola - you just booted the OS of your choice and not a floppy disk in
sight.

ObBootHack:
How to set up a machine when:
1. It has a CD drive.
2. It only has DOS on it.
3. You don't have DOS drivers for the CD on a floppy (my stupid fault).
4. NT has drivers for the CD as standard.
5. You only have NT on a CD.
6. You have DOS drivers for the CD on a DAT.
7. You can only read the DAT from NT.
8. There isn't another machine around.

Catch e^3.091, twice.

Soln:
Secret ingredient: the machine has a modem, so you hack up a teeny-weeny
terminal emulator using QBASIC (or if you are really hard, I suppose you
could use DEBUG), and log onto the CD manufacturer's BBS.  The rest is
left as an exercise for the reader.

See you,

-=Mark=-

|mark_a@cix.compulink.co.uk | Are you the sort of person who always  | |
|mark@artworks.co.uk        |            reads people's signatures?  | |
| Please put on your 3D     |                                        | |
| glasses now.              | Disclaimer: I am not responsible.      | |

Parent

Back to index