Re: Simple Hack

Article: 7512 of alt.hackers
From: wz40ft@elec.mid.gmeds.com (Paul Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Simple Hack
Date: 11 Mar 1995 16:57:38 GMT

<psmith@saturn.acs.oakland.edu> writes:

>  Michael> : ^[:wq
>  Michael> : Damn, thought I was in vi.
>
>  psmith> Try ^[ZZ
>  psmith> 1 less character
>  psmith> Then again, you're not in vi.
>
>Hm, if ^[:wq is one character more than ^[ZZ I venture to say that the
>former does nothing while the latter leaves vi.  If you want ^[:wq to
>do something, that will be two characters more than ^[ZZ...

Kai and I have had several lighthearted interchanges on this insignificant
topic.
I thought I'd fill you all in, in case you're at all interested in this matter
of utmost importance.

As it turns out, ^[:wq is still only one character more than ^[:ZZ.  Here's the
keystrokes to illustrate:

ESC : w q RETURN	(5 keys)
ESC SHIFT Z Z		(4 keys)

Phew.  I can finally sleep nights now.

ObLameHack:

I got frustrated when the wires to the earpieces of cheap pairs of headphones
kept
developing intermittent breaks.  I chalked it up to cheap strain releif.
Serves me
right for buying cheap headphones, I suppose.

As it turned out, I determined that the new pairs I kept buying (good
thing they
were cheap...) kept breaking because of normal tension stresses being
applied to
the connection when the cord would get tugged on for one reason or another.  My
solution was to cut a rubber band in 2 peices and then on each side, I
gathered up
some slack wire and tied on the rubber band as the load-bearing member.
Worked great.
Now it takes a really hard tug to finally apply the tension at the connection
point.

Of course, now the tension stresses are replaced by more angular flexing,
but what
can you do...

(No, I'm not an ME, I just play one on a.h)

Sorry, better ObHack next time.

Paul

---
|  \ \ \____  /  Paul Smith,   Elect. Analysis | For every action there |
|   \ \ \/ / /	GM Truck Engineering,  Troy MI | is an equal and	|
|    \ \/ / /	     wz40ft@ttp.natp.gmeds.com | opposite satisfaction	|
       \/_/

Parent

Child