Re: Simple Hack

Article: 7510 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: clgonsal@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (Carl Laurence Gonsalves)
Subject: Re: Simple Hack
Sender: news@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (news spool owner)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 00:14:28 GMT

In article <3jskq2$qpn@mloeff01.elec.mid.gmeds.com>,
Paul Smith <wz40ft@elec.mid.gmeds.com> wrote:
[...]
>As it turns out, ^[:wq is still only one character more than ^[:ZZ.
Here's the
>keystrokes to illustrate:
>
>ESC : w q RETURN	(5 keys)
>ESC SHIFT Z Z		(4 keys)
>
>Phew.  I can finally sleep nights now.

Actually, on most keyboards I've seen, ":" == "SHIFT ;",
so it should be:

ESC SHIFT ; w q RETURN
vs
ESC SHIFT z z

Personally, I always use "ESC SHIFT ; x RETURN"...

ObHack:

One of my computers is an Amiga 2000 with the original graphics chip. One
of the GIF viewers I use on it is much better at all the others I have,
except that it would always crash on certain images. I eventually figured
out that it was images of certain sizes that would kill it. I think it was
something like, if the width was >= 800 or the height was >= 600 then it
would become toast.

I had already written a little screen promotion utility for the Amiga, so I
dug out the source and modified it to just give me stats on every attempt
to open a screen. It looked like the GIF viewer was trying to open a screen
with a really weird display ID.

I looked through the Autodocs, and sure enough, the viewer was trying to
open a VGA screen, and dying miserably when my poor OCS chipset couldn't
take it. So I then scanned through it with a hex-editor, and modified it so
that large images would still work. (I think I'd just looked for the VGA
display key, which only existed in the file once, and then I changed it to
a display key my machine could handle)

--
	Carl Laurence Gonsalves - clgonsal@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca
	      http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/u/clgonsal/